The original temple at Quelossim (Keloshi) in Salsete was destroyed by the Portuguese in 1566. The goddess was shifted to Kavalem and worship was continued there. The site on which the original Temple of Shantadurga stood at Quelossim (Keloshi) is known as "Deoolbhata" and it is in the possession of the Shree Shantadurga Saunsthan Committee,Kavale. The current temple was constructed during the reign of Maratha ruler Chattrapati Shahu of Satara in about 1738 A.D. Naroram Rege Mantri originally from Kochara village in the Vengurla Taluka,(Konkan) was a Mantri (Minister) in Shahu's Court at Satara (Grandson of Shivaji Maharaj)around 1723. He obtained finances to construct the new temple for the goddess from Shahu Maharaj of Satara. The temple construction started around 1730 . Due to his efforts, the village of Kavalem was bequeathed to the Temple by Shahu in 1739. The temple complex is on the slope of the foothills of a mountain chain, surrounded by lush vegetation. There is a main temple and three smaller temples of other deities which have been built on three sides of the temple. The temple consists of a collection of pyramidal roofs with a dome. The pillars and floors are made of Kashmir stone. The temple has a huge tank, a Deepastambha and agrashalas (guest houses). Many renovations have been completed over the years to the main temple and the temples of the other deities as well as to the agrashala. The temple has recently banned entry of foreigners into the temple citing objectionable dressing and conduct as the reason.
Read moreView Larger Map